The summer transfer window is closed for the top leagues in Europe! After a summer full of international football, countless clubs waited until the last minute to pull off their transfers. See all the major deals here and check out how we graded the biggest signings. But just because the window is shut until January, that doesn’t mean the rumours won’t keep coming.
TOP STORY: Chelsea eye swap deal for Bayern’s Sane
The Blues boss already has an abundance of attacking talent after adding striker Romelu Lukaku to his squad for €115 million in the summer transfer window, but he remains a huge fan of 25-year-old Sane, who has failed to reach his best form since joining Bayern for €45m from Manchester City in 2020.
Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal are also said to be interested in Sane’s services but it is Chelsea — who are crucially able to offer Champions League football — that appear most likely to offer him a return to the Premier League.
In order to do so, though, the Blues will need to add a player into the deal. One option, say the Express, is to try and swap Sane for Callum Hudson-Odoi, who has long been on Bayern’s shortlist, and who has been unable to get consistent minutes for the west Londoners.
Hakim Ziyech is another option. The Morocco international is another player yet to feature regularly under Tuchel, and he could fit Julian Nagelsmann’s system well at Bayern.
Christian Pulisic is the third player the Express suggests Chelsea would be willing to use in part of a swap deal. The United States star has already excelled in the Bundesliga and has had limited opportunities in the Premier League this season.
15.04 BST: Atletico Madrid have an interest in Aston Villa goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez, says La Razon.
Martinez, 29, has had a whirlwind last year as he left Arsenal for Villa, then became first-choice for Argentina as they won the Copa America.
Atletico’s No. 1 is Jan Oblak, arguably the best goalkeeper in world football, but LaLiga’s champions are nearing their wage limit and may have to let him leave.
Los Rojiblancos are therefore looking for cheaper options and Martinez fits the bill.
14.30 BST: Ansu Fati is the man who will wear Barcelona’s famous No. 10 shirt this season now Lionel Messi has left for PSG.
Barcelona reveal that 18-year-old Ansu Fati will wear Lionel Messi’s No. 10 jersey.
13.47 BST: Serie A side Salernitana are close to securing a deal to sign former Bayern Munich and France winger Franck Ribery, says Gianluca di Marzio.
Ribery, 38, has had a glittering career but left Fiorentina this summer on a free transfer.
Salernitana, who are back in Serie A for the first time in 23 years, are also reportedly interested in landing former Paris Saint-Germain, Chelsea and Arsenal defender David Luiz. The 34-year-old is also a free agent and Il Corriere dello Sport says that a one-year deal with an option to extend if the club aren’t relegated is on the table.
13.15 BST: Calciomercato reports that Tottenham want AC Milan midfielder Franck Kessie.
And the Premier League club are ready to offer wantaway midfielder Tanguy Ndombele, 24, as a makeweight in a swap deal.
12.50 BST: Ajax director of football Marc Overmars says goalkeeper Andre Onana may move on soon.
Onana, 25, will be available to play from Nov. 4 after his ban for taking a prohibited substance was reduced from 12 months to nine months by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
The Cameroon international has been tracked by Arsenal and Inter Milan, but it’s unlikely he will stay at Ajax.
“You never know in football, but the way I see it now, I don’t see that happening anytime soon,” Overmars told Ajax TV. “It is possible that he will leave in the winter, but that must yield a decent amount. It must go both ways. If the amount is not sufficient, then [he will leave] in July for nothing.
“We tried for a long time to extend the contract, that didn’t work. We gave the last window the space to make a transfer, that didn’t work either. As a club we also have to continue.
“We have recruited two keepers. Jay Gorter, a talent that we are trying to put in Ajax 1 in the future and Remko Pasveer for the short term. As a club we have to move on and then we can’t wait for, in this case, André. “
12.12 BST: The Manchester Evening News says that Man City forward Phil Foden is “set for a new bumper six-year contract, despite having three years left on his current deal.”
Foden, 21, has become one of the world’s best young players after making the breakthrough into City’s first team a few years ago.
The reports adds: “Talks over a new deal were delayed by the death of Foden’s agent Richard Green in April, but could now be wrapped up this week.”
11.24 BST: Real Madrid plan to pay PSG forward Kylian Mbappe an €80m signing-on bonus if he joins on a free transfer in 2022, says Marca.
Mbappe, 22, was the subject of a €200m offer from Madrid on Deadline Day which PSG ignored. Now he could be available for less in January, but Madrid are ready to hand the money to the player rather than the club if he waits until the summer.
10.30 BST: Erling Haaland will be available for around €75m in 2022, but would he stay at Borussia Dortmund?
Jan Aage Fjortoft shares his thoughts on Erling Haaland’s future after his contract at Borussia Dortmund expires.
09.36 BST: Mario Gotze has extended his contract with PSV until 2024.
“PSV provides the best working conditions to achieve and perform well,” the 29-year-old forward told the club website. “PSV is a very special football club with clear ambitions. For me, it is exciting to work with an excellent head coach and his staff. I like to be part of the big picture at PSV and I am happy to continue my career here.”
PSV director of football John de Jong added that Gotze had rejected a number of big clubs to stay with PSV.
“Several clubs, including big clubs that compete in the UEFA Champions League, have shown a serious interest in Mario on the last few days of the summer transfer window,” he said. “Although Mario would very much like to play his football on the highest level, he has decided to stay with us. He wants to win trophies with PSV. We share his ambition and are obviously very glad he has committed his future to PSV.”
09.14 BST: Sergio Aguero said he was offered the iconic No. 10 jersey at Barcelona but turned it down “out of respect” for Lionel Messi.
Aguero, who joined Barca as a free agent this summer after his contract with Manchester City had expired, chose the No. 19 jersey instead.
Asked about the No. 10 shirt, Aguero said: “It was offered to me but I didn’t select it out of respect for Messi.”
Teenager Ansu Fati has inherited the No.10 at Barca after Messi’s departure.
Messi, who joined PSG on a free transfer after his contract expired, had worn the No. 10 at Barca since 2008. The Argentina forward inherited the shirt from Ronaldinho, with Juan Roman Riquelme and Rivaldo among those to wear it before him at Camp Nou.
08.45 BST: ICYMI – Romeo Beckham, son of global superstar and Inter Miami CF co-owner David Beckham, has signed with Fort Lauderdale CF, the sister club of Miami that competes in League One of the United Soccer League.
The teenager was an unused substitute in Saturday’s 0-0 draw with Chattanooga Red Wolves SC.
The younger Beckham, who celebrated his 19th birthday with members of his family on Wednesday, is the second oldest of four Beckham children and has reportedly been training with Fort Lauderdale and Inter Miami in recent weeks. Romeo Beckham joins Harvey Neville, the son of Inter Miami manager Phil Neville, on the Fort Lauderdale roster.
08.00 BST: Liverpool are prioritising contract talks with Mohamed Salah, according to the Liverpool Echo.
Anfield stars such as Virgil van Dijk, Jordan Henderson and Trent Alexander-Arnold have all signed new deals in recent weeks, and now attention has turned to the club’s main forwards.
The Echo report adds that Salah’s wage demands are not as high as £500,000 a week, as has been previously reported.
Salah, 29, has scored 127 goals in 206 games for Liverpool, steering them to Champions League and Premier League glory. The Egypt international and attacking teammates Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino all have contracts which expire in 2023.
Mark Ogden speaks about whether Man United will still look to sign Erling Haaland next summer.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Nick Judd)
– After a busy transfer window that has seen them bring in Cristiano Ronaldo alongside new faces Jadon Sancho and Raphael Varane, Manchester United are still on the lookout for a defensive midfield player, and the Manchester Evening News believe Marcelo Brozovic is on their wanted list. The Croatia international — capped 64 times for his country — is approaching the end of his contract with Internazionale, and he would be an easier player to sign than, say, West Ham United‘s Declan Rice, another of United’s transfer targets who is valued at £100m.
– AC Milan have decided not to pursue their interest in FC Porto winger Jesus Corona in January, despite several attempts to assign him in the summer. This is according to Calciomercato, who suggest that after the Rossoneri‘s biggest bid of €10m was rejected, and even though the Mexico star is out of contract at the end of the season, the Italian club have instead decided to focus on Junior Messias instead.
– James Rodriguez has been frozen out at Everton, but Turkish side Istanbul Basaksehir have made an offer for the playmaker, according to Footmercato. The Colombia international has a year left on his contract but doesn’t appear to feature in new boss Rafa Benitez’s plans. The Turkish transfer window remains open, however, and Basaksehir are keen to land the 30-year-old on loan. It is not yet clear whether or not Rodriguez is keen on a move to Turkey.
– The future of Gedson Fernandes remains up in the air, with Benfica keen to recoup €15m from Galatasaray before letting him leave for Turkey, according to Italian journalist Fabrizio Romano. Several clubs had attempted to lure Fernandes with a loan move in the summer, but Benfica rebuffed every approach. The Eagles appear keener to replenish their transfer funds or keep hold of him for another season.
– Borussia Dortmund could end Reinier‘s loan spell at the club in January, according to Bild. The 19-year-old swapped Real Madrid for Signal Iduna Park on a two-year deal, but he has found game time hard to come by. He has made just 20 appearances in all competitions, starting just once, a six-minute cameo against Bayern Munich. He missed pre-season while playing for Brazil at the Olympic Games, and Dortmund bosses are said to be looking to make a decision on his future in the New Year.